Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Overhaul for Firefox web browser

I've written a little on my IE frustrations here, and on my other blogs. Well, now it looks like the next generation of Firefox is about to hit the streets.

I don't know why I must vent about Internet Explorer so much, but I must. Last night I was designing a blog template and everything was working fine, but just before I finished I thought I should open it up in IE and see what it looked like. Well, it looked like crap. None of the images were where I put them. Some of the images were just plain old missing. Sidebar in the wrong spot. Main column not what I had specified... Grrrr!

Was it that I had written some bad HTML and CSS? I don't think so. I think it was that IE just couldn't interpret what I had written properly. Anyway, back to the point.

"Firefox 1.5 is due to be available for download on 29 November, marking the end of a thriving year for the browser.

Analysts say Firefox has grabbed a 10% share of the browser market and it claims to have a core of 40-50 million dedicated users."

Well, it's the 29th and Firefox hasn't automagically told me that a new version is available, so I guess it's not ready. That's all right though, since version 1.0.7 is working just fine for me.

After a huge overhaul, and the fact that so many extensions have been written by avid fans of Firefox, I'd say it's about time everyone switched over. I've put a link to Firefox on my blogs, and if you aren't using it yet (or you're using Safari, which I hear is just as good), then go ahead and grab it and be free from the bottomless pit of problems that is IE.

No comments: