Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Moving towards Web 2.0

"Web 2.0 is more than just a technical term. In fact, the discussion surrounding Web 2.0 borders on philosophical. Most people in the tech trade perceive Web 2.0 to be the transition of the Web from a collection of websites to a fully fledged computing platform that serves Web applications to end users."

Dave Chalk has been around for years giving newbies advice on everything from how to install a new mouse to setting up your own webserver. Through radio or TV, he's done it all. This article is a look at what is perceived to be the next big thing. First came the Internet, then the World Wide Web, and now Web 2.0. I don't believe the transition will be mind blowing like the Web was for me in 1995, but gradually you'll see more sites move towards Web services. Chalk's insight into AJAX, something new to me (and another new language I'll learn just because), is interesting. Are sites like Flickr the beginning of the coming revolution? As I've mentioned before, I really dislike Flickr. I don't like it's limitations and I don't like it's UI. I suppose we'll see where Web 2.0 takes us. Now I'm off to read up on AJAX. As if all those other languages weren't enough :P

No comments: