Sunday, December 11, 2005

Remove the XP Start Button

Has that little "Start" button in the taskbar ever bothered you enough to actually want to remove it?
 
Well the people at Channel9.MSDN.com have come up with a great solution.
Well, times move on and I wanted to shrink the size of my start button, so I edited the Windows string table to change "start" to an empty string. Since Windows doesn't allow null, empty, or zero-length strings (for some bizarre reason) I replaced it with a space.

I then reloaded explorer, by-passed the SFC dialog, and the start-button is now much smaller.

But the button had an unsightingly bulge to the right where the space was.

Since you can't have an empty string in the string table, I wondered what would happen if you deleted the string table entry, which I did. I then reloaded explorer.

Lo and behold, the start button was gone, entirely.
Isn't that a great solution?  If you read through the comments you'll get a better understanding of what you have to do, but it makes sense in the end.  I like the idea because sometimes I have so much crap on the taskbar that it would be nice to spread it around a bit.  Also, it just looks cleaner without that big bar there.
 
It's said that you need to have Visual Studio or some other resource editor, but I'm not sure which one other editor can be used, so if you know, leave me a comment.
 
Ads by AdGenta.com
 
Technorati Tags : ,

No comments: