Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Doomed

Doom: An epic game turned abysmal, steaming pile of celluloid? You tell me. On one hand, Karl Urban did a wonderful job... Well, as good as one could in a movie like this. On the other, Dwayne Johnson did not give his best performance to date.

Doom was probably one of the first games I ever played on a PC. Well, the first FPS game, that's for sure. I played the sequels and they were also good. This movie, though, maybe wasn't. Just before it started I told myself not to expect much. And I didn't. But from the beginning it seemed as though I had seen the show before. It took about 10 or so minutes to figure out that this is the exact same movie as Resident Evil. Now, it's not identical, and if I point out how similar it is it would ruin it for anyone actually wanting to watch it, but it's pretty close. I, of course, played Resident Evil also, and don't remember it being the same story as Doom. I guess that REvil copied Doom since Doom came out first, which is a shame, since REvil the movie was so much better than this.

It might be that watching Milla Jovovich run around killing zombies is better than watching Dwayne Johnson run around killing chromosomally challenged humans. Of course, everyone lives happily ever after in the story which annoyed the hell out of me. Why can't someone make a movie where everyone dies? Or the exact opposite happens to what you expect. The bad guy wins. The alien take-over succeed and the pitiful Tom Cruise character you've been rooting for actually dies, and the aliens, after eating all the dead humans and terra-forming our planet, live happily ever after :) That would make me happy. I'm sure Tom Cruise wouldn't take a roll like that, but I sure wish he would. I know there are probably a few movies like this out there that I can't think of at the moment, and I'm sure they didn't make one cent in the theatres because the viewing public needs the hero to save the day, but just once, just once, please? --4.5/10

EDIT: I was browsing and found this link. It appears that my views on REvil are shared by at least a few others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interested in Milla Jovovich? Milla Jovovich. See more of her movies at Most Wanted Movies.