Saturday, October 08, 2005

Vancouver @ Edmonton

So, I don't watch hockey very much. I used to. I used to play for many years... But I find watching sports on TV rather boring. Well, for the last three years (at least), I've told myself that I'd try to watch the Canucks games on TV, see if I could follow them without losing interest, and become somewhat of a hockey fan. It never happens. Two or three games in I realize that sports on TV is a waste of time and I give up. Well, tonight was my first taste of post-lockout hockey and I have to say -- I wasn't sure if I was watching Junior 'A' hockey or the professionals of the NHL. I know it's been a while since these guys have played, but geez! Sloppy is all I can say. Anyway, the only thing that really impressed me about the game was Raffi Torres (is that right?). I know he's playing for Edmonton, but man can that guy play!

Being a total non-fan of the game, I hadn't heard of the new rules until tonight. I like them. The two line pass was stupid and I'm finding the harshness of the Ref's to be quite refreshing. There's nothing like special teams having to work their ass off all game. It makes for much better hockey, I think, when there's pretty much someone in the penalty box all the time.

Anyway, Canucks lost. Big surprise. Shootout at the end was a good idea too. Who wants to be tied? It's a game, there should be a winner! We'll see how long my fandom lasts.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

I've only seen a couple of games this season, and from what I've watched, it looks like the players are still adjusting -- I'm thinking that in a month or so, the quality of the game will be much better. There does seem to be more speed already, more open ice for the good players to get open and work their magic.