Monday, August 22, 2005

Podcasts

So I've quickly become very addicted to Podcasts. I'm not sure what it is about them, but it's something, that's for sure. I used to read up on Tech news all the time (other than Google news Tech section which I read every day), but I've been slacking on keeping up with what's new in the world of Technology. Well, I've now subsribed to a few Podcasts which give me all the info I can handle. I'll just list a few that I find interesting, not the whole list of the ones I've subscribed to. Diggnation, Geek News Central, The World: Technology from the BBC, and This Week in Tech (which I listed before).

Two others I didn't have listed: The Twisted Pickle. This is a very funny show! Ninja Podcasting at its finest. The other being MAACP, description from Podcastalley.com; They talk about the things you're not suppose to. They expose the things that people don't want exposed. They're two bad boys!

I now spend about 1/2 my day at work listening to different podcasts, the rest to music. It's certainly different, yet it keeps me entertained. :P

5 comments:

Garth said...

Sorry for my ignorance but how exactly do you get/receive podcasts? Do you need an ipod or can they be run in winamp or windows media player? Something I've wondered since all the hype as of late on podcasting.

G

Jason said...

Hey Garth. I like to think that there is no ignorance in not knowing something. If you don't know, you just don't know :) Anyway, there are a few ways to receive podcasts. I like to use iTunes because the shows that I'm subscribed to automatically download every day at five o'clock, and then when I plug in my iPod it automatically synces (syncs?). If you don't have an application, though, that will do that for you, you can easily grab the MP3s from the homepage of each show. For example, if you wanted to grab the MacCast show, you could go to their homepage maccast.com and click on the link to grab the latest show. It's right at the top, says Listen to today's show here! They're MP3s, so they'll play in any MP3 player like Winamp or Windows Media Player (or a RIO or iRiver or whatever) Hope that helps!

Garth said...

Thanks - I actually feel less clueless about it all after updating I-Tunes on my computer (no it's not a Mac) and was able to download a podcast and listened to it via I-Tunes. I haven't taken the plunge in investing in an I-pod as of yet. We'll see - I have gigs of mp3s on my home computer and usually end up burning my own mixes for any long drives I may go on. But the closest I've come to buying an ipod were after a trip to NC (another story) where I met an airforce friend of mine (now overseas) who was broadcasting via radio signal from his ipod to his Jeep's radio - very cool!

G

Jeremy said...

Hey Garth...you might be interested in the CBC Radio 3 podcasts. Like Jason said in an earlier post, it's kind of weird hodgepodge of styles, but it's almost always interesting at least.

I set up a webjay playlist that lets you listen or download the mp3s of the ones you like.

Garth said...

Thanks Jer - I'm listening to the CBC podcast right now - great stuff!